June 23, 2012
After almost 3 days of not hearing from our seafaring banking brother…. He made a quick post to his FB of a picture of a marina at Routan, Honduras…. Apparently the internet communication at the island is very poor and he hasn’t been able to write a full update… But at least we know he is OK! More news to follow…..
Marina at Routan, Honduras… the 37 foot boat keeps chugging along !
June 23, 2012
Our brother Manny was supposed to reach Routan Island yesterday after leaving Cancun. The crew left at 2am from Cancun Wednesday morning. The captain estimated it would be 30-36 hours in 5-7 foot waves to arrive to Routan. This morning at 2am it was 48 hours – so we are nearing 60 hours with no contact.
It could be lack of internet access at the Routan marina..or not….They could have decided to stay the night elsewhere or may be going even slower than anticipated.
Keep him and the crew in your prayers! I will update the blog the moment I hear either way!
June 15, 2012
After a tiring first day having traveled only to Key West, we found we had transmission problems. However we had no time to fix it because of bad weather prognosticated for the Yucatan Straits in a couple of days. So instead of resting up over night for the long 3 days – we need to leave this evening! I’ve had 4 hours sleep and one turkey sandwich – I am not a happy sailor right now! So because of the transmission issue, we will have to travel slower, taking maybe 3 days instead of two, in the open water.
I really haven’t had time to think, let alone meditate. We are a 3 member crew. One captain, one mechanic and myself the first mate! We take 2 hours turns on the bridge navigating. And can sleep only in 4 hour shifts.
What have I gotten into! I have ridden a bicycle for 15o miles in one day but that is a kids game compared to navigating for 3 days non stop. I hate to sound like a whiner but I am exhausted and hungry. The captain did have time to stock up for our food but doubt there are any churrascos on the menu! Oh, and so much for seeing the Heat game tonight.
I will be without being able to email for I don’t know how long. I hope and pray we hit the next port in Cancun safely and don’t come across bad weather. The other boats we are taking in subsequent trips have satellite communication and I will be able to communicate during the trips. But not this one. I have to wait to get to the next port.
By the way, remember we have to take 2 more boats after we fly back once reaching our destination. The day after I get back from this trip I have a job interview for an accounting job. God I hope I get that and not have to make the next 2 trips! But first let’s get through this one.
Don’t worry if you don’t hear from me by Monday. Start worrying a little if I haven’t communicated by Tuesday – Really worry if you don’t here from me by Wednesday!
Keep us in your prayers, please.
June 14, 2012
We finally left yesterday at 9:00pm for Key West, which is approximately 150 miles from Miami. We navigated all night at a speed of 6 knots, taking turns at the helm. I was able to sleep about 4 hours total. I am a bit anxious but know God presented me with this opportunity!
We plan to spend the day at Key West stocking provisions before continuing the second leg of our journey to Cancun. The weather so far has been good, seas 2 feet or less with a slight wind out of the south.
Please continue to pray for us!
Sunrise from Key West, Florida
Next leg: Through the Gulf of Mexico to Cancun…..