After a tiring first day having traveled only to Key West, we found we had transmission problems. However we had no time to fix it because of bad weather prognosticated for the Yucatan Straits in a couple of days. So instead of resting up over night for the long 3 days – we need to leave this evening! I’ve had 4 hours sleep and one turkey sandwich – I am not a happy sailor right now! So because of the transmission issue, we will have to travel slower, taking maybe 3 days instead of two, in the open water.
I really haven’t had time to think, let alone meditate. We are a 3 member crew. One captain, one mechanic and myself the first mate! We take 2 hours turns on the bridge navigating. And can sleep only in 4 hour shifts.
What have I gotten into! I have ridden a bicycle for 15o miles in one day but that is a kids game compared to navigating for 3 days non stop. I hate to sound like a whiner but I am exhausted and hungry. The captain did have time to stock up for our food but doubt there are any churrascos on the menu! Oh, and so much for seeing the Heat game tonight.
I will be without being able to email for I don’t know how long. I hope and pray we hit the next port in Cancun safely and don’t come across bad weather. The other boats we are taking in subsequent trips have satellite communication and I will be able to communicate during the trips. But not this one. I have to wait to get to the next port.
By the way, remember we have to take 2 more boats after we fly back once reaching our destination. The day after I get back from this trip I have a job interview for an accounting job. God I hope I get that and not have to make the next 2 trips! But first let’s get through this one.
Don’t worry if you don’t hear from me by Monday. Start worrying a little if I haven’t communicated by Tuesday – Really worry if you don’t here from me by Wednesday!
Keep us in your prayers, please.